Pages

Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Toasted Pumpkin Seed Brittle

 Oh, Fall...
I love summer months but there is something about these Fall days that are so irresistible.
I'm not sure why, but in the summer months my creativity is zapped,
then as soon as the wind blows crisp and the trees tinge red
I can't keep up with everything that pops into my brain!

This recipe is a spin off from my Salted Toffee that I make around Valentine's Day.
The best part is that it is made in the microwave,
which means it's nearly fool proof!
Add in the toasted pumpkin seeds and you are in Fall heaven!

Toasted Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of baking soda (the fresher the better)
1/4 cup toasted salted pumpkin seeds

Directions:
Tape a large piece of parchment paper down on the counter and make sure your hot pads are close by, the bowl will be very hot. Combine the sugar, corn syrup and salt in a glass (microwavable) bowl. Heat on high for 5-6 minutes. The mixture should be bubbly and a slight caramel color. Add the butter and vanilla and heat for another 1-2 minutes. Quickly stir in the baking soda, just until the mixture is foamy. Immediately pour onto the parchment paper. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Place a second piece of parchment paper onto the top of the still hot candy and use a rolling pin to press the seeds into the brittle. Let cool for 15 minutes and then peel the parchment paper off. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

*The cooking times may need to be adjusted based on the wattage of your microwave. Each house we move to I have to tinker with the cook time. But the end result is soooo worth it! 

This would make a brilliant party favor for Fall festivals!


2 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom. That looks like it would be a winner here! Absolutely agree with you on the summer vs fall energy and creativity thing. Summer drains me. Fall brings me back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm going to have to try this!!! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete